More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RX6800 - Efficient Overclocking

Usually hardware out of gpus pull up to 30w maximum 40, which means the remaining 630w come from gpus, which mean an average of 210w per gpu, this is 30-40w MORE than software reported.
Man this is INSANE, and stupid af.
Amd should include riser current as well, they just calculate in completely different way the current used by the gpu from nvidia

(make me mad af)

Core voltage is not applied, you need after reboot to wait for miner to start working, then apply core voltage. If you set on 700, after reboot it won’t apply to 700mv, it will take as much as it wants. Change while rig is working after like 2-3 minutes to 699 then change back to 700, and power draw will go down.
10 Powercolor Fighters 1950w from wall.

SOC 900
SOC max 900

4 Likes

Good morning,

I have a question about the SOC TDC Limit.

How much do you think is safe to increase thie value?

How suggested in TeamRedMiner guide i have increase the default value of 30A to 33A becsuse i was limited in the hash rate.

Now, looking whit HwInfo, while mining the GPU SOC TDC Limit is an other time at 100% and I think this cap my hash rate.

Someone has suggestions?

Thank you.

Dated information depending on which Hive Kernel you are running on. Kernel information is different than the HiveOS version.

You’ll want to provide the kernel(#xx) and OS version shown at the lower right corner of your HiveOS.farm web interface so folks can share some guidance.

And if you want a quick answer, overclocking and AMD-info from a shell would expedite.

I have this GPU Radeon RX 6700 XT 12272 MB · Gigabyte Micron GDDR6 · 113-D51210-X67XTGO
What are the best OC settings for such cards in your opinion
Thanks

That would be for the 6700XT thread:

Guys one question, I read the topi and I read about the script created for state F. I am not able to insert the script, but I wanted to know if there was a version of hiveos that solved this problem by itself. Now I’m using Kernel 5.10.0-hiveos # 83 as software and 0.6-212@211130 as software. I have a mixed rig (1 6800, 4 6600 xt and 1 a2000) Placed a screen of the 6800, for some advice, it is doing 61,80mh / s with 102w from software, but if I restart it starts going at 61,90mh / s but with 108 / 110w

#83 has included settings for 6800’s making the use of added F-State scripting unnecessary.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the answer. Would you know why restarting the rig my 6800 goes from 100 / 103watt to 108 / 110watt? Because if I reinsert the OC profile, everything returns to normal

1 Like

In my experience, HiveOS kernel #83 is very aggressive at locking in the 6800 series values for stability of hashing.

Many of us have GPUs that can run less, but there are alot of junk GPUs out there. You’ll need to tweak settings to your lower rates if lower power consumption/efficiency is a target.

No, my goal is not to reduce consumption, I just wanted to understand why by restarting the rig the consumption of the card increased, but by resetting the oc values it decreased. As if it didn’t catch them on reboot

AFAIK core voltage did not apply on start.

Thanks for the reply, I don’t know what AFAIK is but how can it be solved?

AFAIK (As far as I know) :slight_smile:
It is HiveOS or Linux problem i dont know. You can check core voltage by amd-info console command after reboot and then after reseting oc.

OK thanks. I will wait for hiveos to do a patch :joy: for now on every reboot I will apply the oc again

I have this problem also; it seems HIVEOS is not applying VDD properly upon booting for whatever reason. Seems to affect mainly RX 6800 cards. It means my card is not as efficient as it could be which is annoying but guess we’ll have to wait to see if it ever gets fixed. The current workaround is to change/reapply any setting manually after boot but has to be redone each time if you ever reboot

The same happens to me too, I only reapply the VVD or move the memories by 1. With the settings applied I get almost 62mh / s with 102 / 104w from software, while at a restart the consumption rises to 108/110 and it is a bit ’ bothersome

1 Like

Would it be possible to write a script to force reapply VDD in HiveOS that can be run on boot? This would save having to do it manually each time until the issue is fixed.

Having just checked, the difference between the two settings (what is applied on startup (687mv) and what I have entered in hiveOS (615mv)) is around 5-6w at the wall. Given that electricity prices here in the UK have risen and will continue to rise exponentially in the next several months these are definitely watts I would like to save

Yes, I know there is a script for this and if you see the messages above it should be right in this topic. I am in Italy and I have the same problem as you with the current, but I did not insert the script because once inserted the settings I have no problems with the rig. The rig does not freeze or restart for a long time and if I restart it manually I will re-enter the 6800 data

Wondering if you could write your own script to run on boot like this:

Would obviously need to be modified accordingly