More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RX6800 - Efficient Overclocking

No, MPT only changes Windows registry and not the bios itself, so you’ll just flash the original bios back.

If you read back in this topic, you’ll see that they flashed bios from other gpu types like XT onto non-XT gpu’s to get the TDC up.

2 Likes

Well, that particular version of TBM might be stable for you now, so you’d better lock it on that version.
Every few days they launch a new update that sometimes messes up things and then takes a few more updates before they fix it.
I’m only testing it on my gaming computer and that one is still on 1.27. Sometimes I’m testing newer versions but often go back to that one.
My rigs all run TRM for stability on the long run.

2 Likes

From what I have seen, there is a best case <1MH/s increase and <10W savings from 6800XT vs. 6800 when mining ETH.

That range is not going to make up the difference in purchase price for so long it becomes immaterial. I still buy what I can at my target ROI regardless of 6800 or 6800XT.

Brand choice is more related to form factor based on what is available to me in my region. Generally XFX&MSI in my rigs that have space for long GPUs, Reference and Sapphire in the short spaces.

1 Like

Which miner are you using? Is a stock GPU? Nice temps and watts!

The 0.5% fee makes TBM very attractive to me. It doesn’t seem worth switching off TRM at this point. I am still seeing comments about TBM inflating hash rates and how it’s better to run it on pools that pay for stales, etc. Plus there is the whole having to manually tune intensity too.

Not good IMO.

I have 2 rigs with six completely new rx 6800 xt each, one assembled with Sapphire Nitro and the other with Powercolor (RED DRAGON), the fact that the Sapphire are unstable and require a lot of time to make them stable, in the case of Powercolor for me they are the best and most efficient , they run at 63 MHs with the same settings on all six cards and less power.

1 Like

Hi, May i know which power color are u using ? red devil or red dragon? thank you

All GPU are Red Dragon

Remember you should check at the wall for the real power usage :wink:

1 Like

I’m currently mining with a powercolor fighter rx6800 on HiveOS and can get 61mh/s for 101w software with the settings I’m using as below:

However I seem to have found a weird bug in HiveOS with this card where upon rebooting the rig from cold, it will not apply the VDD properly. If I look at the Team Red Miner output screen, VDD is showing as 687mv despite having put 620mv in hive. Only way I can seem to fix this is to change it another value in hive overclocking screen (that isn’t 620), apply, then re-enter and re-apply with 620vdd and then TRM miner shows 618mv in the miner. If I restart just the miner, the 620 VDD value will stay. It’s only if I reboot the rig that it will lose the setting and default to 687mv. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here? There is about 7w difference between VDD at 687 and VDD at 620 and the card is stable at 620 so I want get the best efficiency out of it if I can (and don’t want any reboots messing that up). Has anyone else had a similar issue? If you’re running these cards can you check that your VDD value in the TRM miner matches what you input in Hive to check that I’m not the only one having this problem?

SoC frequency or SoC VDD settings?
I have one PowerColor Red Dragon but I only do 62.19 MH/s and 126W with your same OC

There are doxens of picture above here, like this one RX6800 - Efficient Overclocking - #879 by albyG which is mine, but as i said many many other users posted their OCs with bot SOC values visible

Its not a weird bug with your card. This happens for all rx6800 non-xt since hive comes with the upp script for fstate 1551 (4-5 months)

Now, try SoC VDDmax = 850 , it should drop power
I left SoC freq empty for powercolor
You can also try to play with the VDD values lowering them in steps of 2mv

1 Like

Ok, I thought that fstate script was for cards that couldn’t hit normal hashrates, not setting the VDD value. So I have to add this script to force apply on boot? Does it have to be manually applied every time you reboot the rig? I can get the VDD value down to the level I want by just changing the VDD value in hive overclocking tab to something else and then reverting back. The problem is it loses the correct VDD value on every rig reboot and takes more power consumption as a result until I do this manual workaround. I guess I’ll have to look into this fstate script to see if it helps, but it has to be said that AMD cards are just a ballache for mining when compared to nvidia.

Checked amd-info for the card and it says it is already running F state 1551:

When I next have to reboot the rig I will check what amd-info figures are being applied by default

Hive OS sets the F-state to 1551 since Hive Kernel 5.10.0 #72.

The folks are telling you the boot state is aggressive to lock in F-state and other settings for stable performance. You are actually asking to back down values for power savings for your GPUs which consume less, but maintain performance.

Not all GPUs will maintain performance at lower variables.

Today I decided to insert some SOC values against my 6800 cards. On a six card rig I lost 1MH and lowered power by 70w in the software. Miner is team red.

While I am still testing to see if this is stable the curious thing is that my 6800xt and 6900xt cards are drawing slightly less power than the two 6800 cards even with identical settings including SOC (1000mhz, 880mv).

I can’t explain why the 6800 cards draw more power. If I lower their core clocks they drop into a lower power state and only hash about 59MH.

Interesing results.

Yes I understand the latest kernel fixes the f-state issue (which as I understood it meant lower hashrates on rx6800s if script not applied/set to 1551 by default). But my problem is that the VDD value that I have set in Hive won’t lock in and defaults to a higher value on boot of 687mv (the true value can only be seen in the actual TRM miner log). I can change it manually each time by applying a different value and re-entering 620 again no problem (618mv then shows in TRM for lower power consumption). I’m just trying to work out why the card or the OS is doing this, and as I only have the one 6800 I can’t check if it is a card specific problem. If it’s linked to the f-state lock, will I need to try an older hive kernel? I’ve tried lowering the core clock in case default VDD is linked to core power state but no bueno (plus I lose hash on hive below 1250mhz core so not really a solution there anyway). Can anyone who has one of these cards and is running Team Red miner check that their VDD value matches the one they’ve input in the HiveOS overclocking tab?