More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RX6800 - Efficient Overclocking

THANK YOU! My cards started off at 63MH months ago then started falling to 58-60MH. Now they’re back to 62-63MH

Upgraded the kernel with hive-replace to #140, then upgraded to the latest HiveOS version 0.6-211@211029.

At my baseline, with no scripts, and no aggressive overclocking, power consumption is up when they were all under 100w, but they are shockingly similar in performance(GPU2 always runs hot in this system):

Edit: Upgraded (4) rigs. Baseline configs, no scripting, and not one of the 4 brands of 6800s is running less than 61MH/s. Where was this combination of Kernel&HiveOS months ago?! :smiley:
Note: some of these were the formerly pain in the rear 57/58MHs units.

Edit2: none of the GPUs are running F state less than 1551 with (again, this is quite a few GPUs and across four brands):
0.6-211@211029
5.4.0-hiveos #140
A20.40 (5.11.0701)

2 Likes

I haven’t updated yet but my cards have been running solid for a couple of weeks now at over 62 MHs, with several over 63 MHs. Should I still upgrade the kernel and update Hive?

If yours are stable for weeks on end, I would not touch them until folks run the new version a few weeks.

fwiw: Those temperatures bug me, so I’d increase the fans. Fans are cheap, GPUs, not so much.

1 Like

At least I know its not just me. My worst fear is that I need to be forever downgraded because I have a anomalous issue.

Yes finally HiveOS team integrate our method for F state. Today I check it and everything looks fine. Now next point is to see how we can make “fast timings” works in Linux :wink:

2 Likes

TRM got it(c mode) done for VII’s, it will happen ;>)

Appreciate your efforts to bridge the gaps. Thank you.

Well, something is wrong with the new upgrade 0.6-211@211029 kernel 140.
It seems that now both my 6800’s as my 6800XT’s are running FCLK 1551.
For the 6800XT that should have remained 1941. Now they have lower hashrate due to lower FCLK of 1551…

What miner? How are they so efficient in electricity?

Hi, so what do you suggest, to remove “our” script out of system a keep newly integrated Fstate mod from HiveOS?

And btw, what is this?

• Reduced power usage on AMD RDNA2 RX 6x00 series (Recommended SoC ranges to reduce power usage: clock: 800-960MHz, voltage: 800-900mV. WARNING Only change these settings if you know what you’re doing!)

It really means an option to set up core at ~900Mhz @800mV? It seems as a very strange setup to me, do I understand it wrong or it is really working? :]

They’re talking about SOC clock and SOC voltage not core clock nor core voltage.
I have not set any SOC clocks on my cards, but SOC voltages of my highest is 960, most around 830 and even 1 as low as 750mV!

Got them just over 62 again :

gpu0 is a troublemaker, can’t get his voltages as low as the others

Ou, my bad, I still need to learn a lot of things… Thanks for clarification!
I don’t use Soc freq./VDD settings, can it really helps with power consumption? And if so, what values are you usually using?

Team Red Miner for all my AMD GPUs. I start here as a baseline and work up. I believe my starting point needs to be tweaked with the new release. Not sure the SoC Freq or SoC VDD entries are needed anymore.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned them in the same post you replied to :face_with_monocle:
And my power consumption is in the picture below that post :wink:
So yes, it helps :grin:

Out of curiosity, does it follow the GPU or the PCI slot in use? I have a few “hot” PCI slots in my rigs.

• can see the higher core voltage, but not sure that explains the increase.

Good idea to test. The high voltage one is in the x16 slot. I’ll plug the gpu into an x1 slot after I get back from my holidays in about a week and report back.

To make clear, the hot one isn’t the high voltage one.
The high voltage one runs pretty cool.
The hot one can be well undervolted yet the temp stays high. I’ve already added thermal pads and placed it at the end of the rig for fresher air, so I think the cause of its’ higher temps might be internal gpu.
I don’t think changing PCI slot might help in this case, but I’ll test anyway.

It’s a good time to start the game. :slight_smile: I slightly changed the code of “AMD memory tweak” and compiled it again now when I try to read the timings I get some values ​​(I’m not sure if they are correct) now I have to check the differences in the registers between JESD212 (GDDR5 standard) and JESD250 (GDDR6 standard). At the moment the parameters cannot be set, the program returns that the changes have been saved, but after checking nothing has been changed.

1 Like

i have 2rigs, 1 is on the latest HiveOS (0.6-211@211030), but the AMD drivers are still on 20.40 (5.11.0701). another rig is on older HiveOS, but the AMD driver is on 20.40 (5.11.0825). how can i update the newer rig to newer AMD drivers?

but the latest HiveOS updates is really good, same settings but 62.7mh 97w instead of 105+ watt