More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Advice for 6800, 6800xt and 6900 xt OC settings

I have 10 6900XT Phantom Gaming to test, not sure the OC formula gives a real advantage for mining because I want max efficency for the money. 63.4 mhs is pretty decent, how about power comsuption?

With all my 6800XT I have about 62.5 mhs @98w, I hoped to do a little better with the 6900XT chipset

Currently in windows I’m seeing 122w power use for the 6900xt forumula OC. 63.4 MH.

Keep in mind though I haven’t experimented with dropping memory or controller voltages. I just have vcore dropped to 625mv right now that’s it.

In theory it should be able to get down to about 110w. We’ll see though. I’m just trying to find the limit on the memory right now and it seems I’m pretty close to that. 2150mhz is about all it will go without hash rate collapse though you can clock it MUCH higher in wattman. This card is apparently unlocked on memory and can be sent much higher, it just doesn’t seem to matter though.

I expected about 120W without tweaking with core voltages, it’s pretty fair considering you’re now testing the memory limits.

Asrock 6800XT has worse memory compared to other brands I tested (MSI - Sapphire), I couldn’t go over @1051, but I hope the 6900XT is equipped with better memory despite looking very similar (same super heavy heatsink). As far as I know higher memory clocks produce higher hashrate but, even more important, lower power consumpion. It’s not rare to be able to reach @1071 memory clock, worked good for me, but yes sometimes you have to lower it because you may lose hashrate if memory is not “lottery” type

I had a phantom D gaming 6900xt at one point and it was a good card. I ended up selling it and going back to my sapphire 6800xt nitro for a while. Then the sapphire went back into the rig and I picked up a formula because I wanted a card with XTXH core chip for desktop/game functions.

After it runs for a while at the current settings I may try one more time to get memory clocked up higher. Then will work on reducing memory and mem controller voltages.

Take a look of my OC previously posted here you can lower A LOT power consumption and even increase your hashrate cos you have many many 6800 XTs

Hope this may helps you

Yes, I’ve seen your post before and tried your settings, however at first my cards weren’t stable at all that settings. Especially, the part that got me really confused was that when applying lower than default VDDCR_SOC the F state was dropping from 1941 to 1551, which I believed to be a bad thing that just made things worse. As I later figured out, the F state on 6800xt doesn’t have to be 1941, and 1551 is perfectly enough. What seems to cause instability of my cards were mainly 2 factors:

1. too high memory clock - at 1060/1066/1075 my cards were dropping hashrate (each time different card, each time to a different extend, sometimes even reaching ~12mh/s). When I set them at 1050/1045 eveything seems good so far, the hashrate reamins stable, will be testing if I can go higher step by step soon. I am also testing starting the miner with a little delay, as it looks like the miner starts before all the cards are OC’ed and I suspect this could trigger the cards in some safe mode where it cuts the hashrate, I don’t know.
  2. faulty risers - these were and still are a huge pain in the ass, because in my case the “faulty” risers were working fine ~80% of the time, sometimes just causing soft lockups (CPU#2 stuck for 22s! error) during HiveOS boot or other problems with initialisation (some page faults), once in a while errors during POST which stopped the rig from booting completely, especially after reboot. However, most often the GPUs were initialised successfully after a long while and were mining for a few hours, then throwing GPU dead errors.
    I removed ‘the most suspected’ risers, set safe memory clocks (1045/1050) and the rigs work fine so far, even with near your settings. It looks like this now:

SOC 1000Mhz@880mV

PS fun fuct is that these cards really try to run BIOS in native resolutions, which MSI motherboards do not support, while on an ASUS motherboard the BIOS worked but there was some clipping of the UI here and there.

1 Like

The VDDmax is crashing your rig. I set the Vddmax after the rig is on and running.

Nope, i use Team Red and gminer, both provide 63 MH/s

But your oc settings are too aggressive. I hit 62 with 100watts in software

Secondly, i found that the temperatures of cards are too good … you must be living in Antarctica :wink:
So that is another reason you have very good hash 63+

Have you shared these settings somewhere? I’ve scrolled through this thread and tried many different settings for my gigabyte 6800xt, and have yet to achieve what has been posted by members when using their settings.

I’m happy with my OC settings and I do not agree they are too aggressive

Proper ventilation

Really impressed by the temperatures… Would love to know more about it…

Its just an enclosed space with high volume of air turnover, and fan placement to move the hot air quickly away from the rigs

Excellent… In apartment it is very difficult to achieve proper ventilation… by the way the weather here is 36 centigrade

That’s pretty hot, and would be summer temps for me. We are currently mid winter and 30f outside. During the summer, I had my rigs in a grow tent, again with high air flow and exhaust. I’m currently enjoying the winter temps :slight_smile:

I had spent soooo much time to find best OC setting because every SINGLE point on vram clock affect the hashrate all the time. I started from the max 1075 mhz lowering 1mhz at time, it helped a lot finding best oc.

After that i moved to core clock AND core voltage to find best power consumption, at last the SOC.

I found those settings and my 6800xt is now stable for days. You maybe just need to touch values more precisely with little steps

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for sharing your high level steps. Could you elaborate a little more on what you are doing?

I started from the max 1075 mhz lowering 1mhz at time, it helped a lot finding best oc.

When you are lowering the memory clock by 1mhz at a time, what are you looking for to occur? Just the hashrate to increase?

After that i moved to core clock AND core voltage to find best power consumption

When adjusting the core clock and voltage, are you only looking for the wattage to decrease without the hashrate decreasing? What are you starting points? And at which increments are you increasing/decreasing

last the SOC.

What are your starting values, and at what increments are you decreasing/increasing? What are you looking for after making a change?

1 Like

I dont have many gpus at the moment. But planning to get one when I really need it. So far I put the rig next to open window … But no doubt winter plays its role …

I started setting the most common core value 1250, and with 1075 memory clock but i immediately got a crash, so restarted with 1074 and no-crash anymore but low hashrate. So here, while mining i move the mem clock down to 1mhz per step and write down the hashrate i get, this way until i realized under 1064 i was getting less and less MH.

I actually look hashrate and power usage both.
The priority is given to the core voltage, not the core, because it’s the mV the core works that affect the power consumption the most.
So i started moving down the core voltage starting from 700mV decreasing it be 10mV-step.
Meanwhile I note the hashrate, which usually fluctuates.

Here i started from 900 on SocVDDmax and decreasing by 5.
NOTE: the other SOC Frequency, seems actually does not affect hashrate, even power usage, at all, like it does on RX 5000 series.

Every time i move something i let it mine for a while, and note down the results in terms of MH and power.
In the last i didn’t move the core clock a lot tho.
Moreover, to keep things more stable i set the eth_config into the teamredminer parameter equals to 1056, this helps me a lot because in this way i block teamredminer to “adjust” the gpu tuning.

4 Likes