More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Vega 56 and Vega 64 guide

Hi, I would like to flash my VEGA 64 to 56. Can anyone please recommend a suitable VEGA 64 BIOS for my card ‘SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 nitro+ 8GB HBM2 Graphics Card’ (Samsung memory).

Already tried flashing similar nitro 56 and it ruined the bios (black screen/no output); working using the second bios (via switch on card).

No it does not restart but after 1 or 2 hours I get more and more invalid share, up to 10%. I’m gonna try more setups and keep you updated.

is anyone is this problem with vega 64? if anyone can help me that cad start mine I ll pay for this!!

In windows card work perfectly but after boot in hiveos
Hiveos found vega 64 but card doesnt respond to any commands, and hive os write any other data such as temperature or consumation or fans

i tried to insert another Vbios or restart multiple times or put a card on another pcie but nothing helped

is it possible to install aother driver or does anyone have experience on what driver and what version of linux does the card work for you please?

if the card mined in any way or at least matched it , i would have handled it but here i have no idea what i can do wrong when on other pc where windows works ok(another card runs fine on hiveos).

The RCDRD value (12) you mention in your earlier post is quite low, try something like 20 and take it down slowly.

I assume you haven’t set clocks or straps yet and first want to get it running?
Please give us some more information like what brand and type vega 64, what the stock bios is and which bios you are running now.
Have you only changed the same cables to another pcie slot?
Or have you also tried to change the riser, usb cable and power cable? Maybe even change the slot into which the power cable is connected into the PSU?

yes I did not set the clock or anything else because it was useless if the card does not communicate.

it is a Sapphire radeon RX vega 64

I put the card on other risers and directly on MB and tried to change other PCIE slots
I also tried to replace the power cord

the kernel version is 5.4.80-hiveos
and the driver version is 20.40

do you think the beta version of hiveos will help?

I don’t think there is an advantage of the beta in this case; it should work on the regular version without issues so we should dig in deeper.
Is it back to the stock bios which you have hopefully backed up prior to start flashing?
Which other biosses have you tried flashing?
How did you flash them? Have you enabled both “reboot after flash” and “force flash ignore security checking” first prior to selecting a vbios?
What motherboard are you using it on?
Can you try on your Windows computer again to see if it still functions there?

I have question

no, unfortunately, I didn’t think to back up the original bios, because even after the first connection, the GPU didn’t load like the others

When I tried to download the bios for this card in Hiveos, it was successful, but still nothing changed, and even after I downloaded the bios from VGA Bios Collection: AMD RX Vega 64 8 GB | TechPowerUp

so there was still no change, then I tried again but I clicked force flash to ignore security check

then it wrote to me that it was successful and I should restart the rig but then nothing changed.

I ended up here and plugged the card into my pc with windows, where after installing the driver it popped up and worked right away.

my rig is from:
Motherboard
Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) MSI (1.E0 05/15/2017)
CPU
4 × Intel ® Core ™ i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz AES
Disk Model
SanDisk Cruzer Spark 15.4GB

Does anybody have some good straps for a crappy Gigabyte 56 with Hynix memory?

I’ve tried 4-5 straps , and I can’t get over 870MEM and 40mhs

Try something like amdmemtweak --cl 20 --ras 23 --rcdrd 20 --rcdwr 11 --rc 34 --rp 13 --rrds 3 --rrdl 4 --rtp 6 --faw 12 --cwl 7 --wtrs 4 --wtrl 4 --wr 11 --rfc 164 --REF 17000. Works on a crappy hynix 56 (not Gigabyte though)

Will try it. And oc settings?

Can you tell me please , some oc settings for this straps? Thank you

Works with these settings. Have 2 invalid shares but that’s over 1000 shares so not totally stable but not too bad.

RCDRD 15 is for good Hynix’
For crappy Hynix start with RCDRD 20 as @Chenne has suggested. Then after a few hours of testing set it one step lower if you have no invalid shares or higher if you have a few. Test again for a few hours and repeat until you find the best RCDRD for your crap :sweat_smile:

Well, downloading the vbios in hiveos is imo a bit wrongly translated; it downloads the vbios from the gpu itself so it is in fact a backup. However, to download that backup to your computer you have to click on the downloaded vbios name in the hiveos progress bar. If you haven’t done that last step and somewhere later deleted all other stuff in the progress bar then I think it’s gone too.

The security check in hiveos is so you can e.g. flash 56 vbios on 64 cards, or vbios from another manufacturer on your card. I just always enable it when I flash.

I also have success with this MSI vbios on Sapphire reference cards:

Again, enable reboot and security check toggles before selecting the vbios.

If you can’t flash it in hiveos, try to flash it in Windows. I don’t know the exact procedure there; I think with something like ATI flash, but you better Google that.

little question can i flash any of VEGA56 on my 64? just security check everytime then random flash?
i tried to fash on same vendor but no one can match and fear brick if ignore security

no, definitely not!
but if you have a reference card of any brand (the ones with one single fan), then they seem all alike, and then I prefer the MSI airboost vbios.
if you have an aftermarket card with e.g. more than 1 fan, then I would stick to that particular manufacturer.
if you have a card with physical vbios switch on the side then you can risk a bit more, but I have some Gigabyte cards which don’t have that, so I’m very careful with those. On the cards with dual vbios I dare to experiment a little more.

so i have to download this bios

and in the overclocking window I click on the flash bios, here I insert the bios and select this tab

click force flashing ignoring security checking?

and after the bios is successfully loaded should I rig restart?

or I have to type something into the console

no console.
just download that vbios from techpowerup to your remote computer, then go to farm overview, cards tab, vbios rom storage sub tab and upload it to the hiveos storage with a good recognizable name.
then go to the cards sub tab, and click on the 3 … next to the card you want to flash, click select vbios, then first enable reboot and security check (both toggles should be green), then select the vbios you had previously uploaded in the overview. It will then flash it and reboot automatically afterward.