More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Installing HiveOS On ARM64 Hardware Without Access of Adding a Boot Medium (Oracle Cloud Free Tier)

Hello! I am running on ARM64 hardware via Oracle Cloud and I’m trying to get HiveOS installed on it for fun and to help other people with the same problem as me. I made this post a while ago about trying to get HiveOS installed via clone deploy and have not gotten any responses which leads me to believe it isn’t possible. So that led me to try to use this install method. I ran this on Ubuntu 18 and 20 and also tried Debian Buster and tried running this in a proxmox container. I ran the installer and configure script and then ran the build command, which failed after a minute with this error log. It doesn’t even look like it failed, it just kind of gave up. I have all the l listed dependencies installed, I assume this is an ARM64 issue. I then tried installing via downloading the HiveOS image, converting .img to .iso by changing its file name, then using iso-convert to convert it to a vmdk, uploaded that to Oracle Cloud, and tried booting from it but it would either just not even boot at all, or have a ton of errors about failing to find a boot device. If needed I could repeat these steps and find exactly what it said was wrong, but I just don’t think that is a viable option. I tried running a qemu container to host HiveOS but I couldn’t since the machine does not support KVM or hardware virtualization of any kind. What other methods of installation can I use or is this just not possible? I have seen people run HiveOS on RPI’s so I know it’s possible to run on ARM64 hardware, but not easy when you don’t have access to be able to add a drive with the OS on it like you can with an RPI. Maybe there is another way to do a netboot or maybe one of you guys has done this already and can help me out. I’m just looking for an install method that works on anything Ubuntu 18+ (since I cant run ubuntu 16 since the oracle image does not exist in my region) and does not require me to plug in anything to the physical computer itself since obviously, that is not possible if its cloud computing. Thank you!

1 Like