More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Vega 56 and Vega 64 guide

I promised to give some info about water cooling my MSI Vega 56 Samsung so this is what i’ve done

Bought MSI Vega 56 Samsung card :slight_smile: yay!
I realized how loud gpu can be, I thought that this cannot be true that any manufacturer can sell such a bad product

I bought aftermarket Thermaltake water cooling for gpu core, Kraken G12 frame to have additional air cooling for other parts as mem and power section and copper radiators only for memory. All the accessories cost me about 60eur :euro:

Important tip: I used screws M4 25mm, holes in card have to be enlarged a little, perhaps M3 will also work :hammer_and_wrench:

The final result is awesome, card is almost inaudiable and cool.
The original fan was running at 100% with mem temp about 68 degrees, now it runs 63 degrees with 29% :snowman_with_snow:

2 invalids but uptime is 2d 6h

PS: this is not my mining rig! :sweat_smile: this is just my test computer

1 Like

try RCDRD at 15, 12 is where you want to be. If it gives you lot of invalids like 5-10 per day try just doing 15

So… got another vega 56, Asus Pulse, looks like this is like addiction! These pulse gpu’s are really good, i have now 2 Samsung and 1 Hynix Pulse. This one was like the other Samsung, straight out from the box 55mh. As good as ref model. Few more and my other rig is all vega. Great gpu for the price :sunglasses: 1020/820/1130

1 Like

Try 1025, my V56 MSI is running 55,90mh :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi All,
Thanks for proving so much information about the Vega 56 card. Unfortunately, I am stuck with Vega 56 Sapphire with a Hynix chip.
I have flashed the BIOS mention above (Nitro Version)
Core: 1100, VDD: 840 MEM: 940

Straps:
amdmemtweak --CL 20 --RC 36 --RP 13 --WR 13 --CWL 7 --FAW 12 --RAS 23 --REF 65535 --RFC 248 --RTP 6 --RRDL 5 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 20 --RCDWR 11

I am getting high invalid shares as well as cannot reach 50 or above ever!!! Please can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

I have tried Core 1030, 40, 60 ,70 , 80 & RCDRD 16 , 18 , 20

Try mem 960 (max965) / vdd 830 / core 1050 …and DPM value blank, loooks like from the picture that you have value 1 there ?
Straps,
amdmemtweak --CL 20 --RC 36 --RP 11 --WR 14 --CWL 8 --FAW 12 --RAS 22 --REF 65535 --RFC 239 --RTP 5 --RRDL 6 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 12 --RCDWR 12

Hope these work for that nitro and help u to get above 50mh.

Thanks for your reply @Smining570 !!
I have now made mem 960/vdd 830/ core 1050. Cannot set DMP value.

when used your straps or any strap with RCDRD value less than 18. GPU gets dead.

Current straps :
amdmemtweak --CL 21 --RC 36 --RP 13 --WR 13 --CWL 7 --FAW 12 --RAS 23 --REF 65535 --RFC 248 --RTP 6 --RRDL 5 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 20 --RCDWR 14

just restarted the miner therefore cannot verify the invalid. I cannot figure out what to do :frowning:

Here is my settings tab:

EDIT: got high reject shares. reverted to MEM 950

Here is the output with your provided straps :

PS: I am replying in multiple replies as I cannot post multiple images in one post!! newbie restrictions -_-

I dint even think of trying 1025 , it seems like allso my ref 56 can do 1025, samsung nitro is maxed at mem 1020. Gpu 3 is 64 flashed to 56, that one have been a pain to get decent hash and still keep it stable. Gpu 2 is a weird one with 1045 mem…dont know what going on there but its solid with these.

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Inkedoccccc1_LI

If u go to all oc´s, there should be option for DPM ?

Did set DMP to 0 and tried your strap. GPU is dead again :frowning:

okay, but dpm is 0 now, that will help…so its straps now needs adjustment…its actually strange that it wont accept higher mem.

In what position u have dual bios switch ? DUAL BIOS

U can try to flip the switch to other position and apply “default hynix straps” from Advanced config in oc tab. Then experiment a bit with mem and core…is there any difference in max mem compared to other bios version u have on the card.

You mentioned earlier “I have flashed the BIOS mention above (Nitro Version)” Are u sure that the vbios file was the right one for your card ?
Just to confirm…this is OEM rx vega56…its not vega 64 flashed to 56 ?

It’s a Hynix, so I think that rules out the 64 as those are supposed to be all Samsung.
Some Hynix just don’t go up to 50MH/s; I also have 2 that can only go up to 48ish.
But indeed, maybe incorrect vbios. @dxvarun What was the original vbios? Did you make a backup?

Anyway, RCDRD 12 crashes all my Hynixes; I start high (around 20) and try to lower bit by bit; some end up at 18, some at 15 and only one at 14.
Maybe I have to set other mem clocks for RCDRD to be able to go lower?

I’ve also noticed a difference between Gigabyte Gaming OC Hynix and reference card Hynix.

My Gigabites accept this strap (with different RCDRD per card):
amdmemtweak --CL 19 --RC 36 --RP 12 --WR 13 --CWL 6 --FAW 12 --RAS 22 --REF 65535 --RFC 239 --RTP 4 --RRDL 5 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 15 --RCDWR 4

And my reference cards Hynix accept this strap (with different RCDRD per card):
amdmemtweak --CL 20 --RC 36 --RP 13 --WR 13 --CWL 7 --FAW 12 --RAS 23 --REF 65535 --RFC 239 --RTP 6 --RRDL 5 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 16 --RCDWR 11

But not vice versa.
Is that normal? I would think they’d accept the same straps as they are both Hynix?
Anyone else experiencing the same?

1 Like

right…naturally it cant be 64… :laughing: Getting all confused here apparently.
Im just suprised that nitro cant perform better…even hynix. well, allso shy 50mh is good so as long there is settings that are stable for running gpu 24/7… all the time, i would settle for like 48mh…but defo would try everything to get it a bit higher. On this one , i would check the bios file and perhaps try another one…who knows, maybe it can do better ??

Probably easier to cool than the ref model too.
All my aftermarket cards, those with more than 1 fan, cool better than the 1 fan turbine reference cards. The turbines run >80% fan and can’t even keep the HBM temps at 60°C, whilst the aftermarkets run around 50 to 70% fan and easy 60°C.

1 Like

Hello guys!
I’m new to mining,
I have a MSI vega 56(hynix mem),
I use this strap
amdmemtweak --i 0 --CL 18 --RAS 23 --RCDRD 15 --RCDWR 11 --RC 34 --RP 13 --RRDS 3 --RRDL 4 --RTP 6 --FAW 12 --CWL 7 --WTRS 4 --WTRL 4 --WR 11 --REF 65000 --RFC 249
core 1030 / mem 870 / vdd 850
but,only 46MH and more invalid shares…
What should I do to optimize the GPU?
thank guys!

Hello mate, I’m trying to mine ergo with my vega 56 but i cant get more than 80, can you help me to get more ?

1 Like

Start from beginning of this thread and experiment with different straps and oc values u find, at the same time u learn how to modify straps and what effect some strap value have…lets say to mem…or others to core values. There is no one ansver to your question, and if u cant get it better after u have read thru this thread, go ahead, please ask what u want to know or tell what is your issue, plenty of friendly helpfull people here :slight_smile:

Hi, need a bit of help with my vega 56 asus with hynix. I´m geting it on 49MH with this strap:
amdmemtweak --CL 20 --RC 37 --RP 11 --WR 14 --CWL 8 --FAW 12 --RAS 20 --REF 65535 --RFC 248 --RTP 5 --RRDL 6 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 18 --RCDWR 12

But after 5 - 15 min dead.