More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Update to latest image on a live system (remote), possible?

Hi all!

I hope someone can help me out or at least provide me with some answers.

Currently I have two (simple) mining rigs running on a ship (yes, ship; inland shipping). Both rigs have been running for quite some time without major issues. However they are both still running on: Kernel 5.4.0-hiveos #108.

If I am not mistaken, there is a (much) newer version available, which is dated 17th of August. This version is much newer than I am currently running.

Now I want to update HiveOS to the latest version, however I am a bit scared that things might go wrong. I know there is a command called:

hive-replace

I did read the following thread, but it didn’t give me the answers I needed. The thread I am talking about is located here: OS Live Replacement
Also it hasn’t been updated in a very long time. So I am a bit worried that things can go sideways.

FYI: I have no physical access to the mining rigs; only once in one or two months. So I want to be prepared as good as I can and run the correct commands and do the correct preparations for updating the HiveOS version.

As for my questions;

• Is it possible to update the HiveOS firmware on a live system?
  • Will my current settings, configurations, etc. all be kept?
  • Will I still be able to access the mining rigs after the update?
  • What else do I need to take into consideration?

I hope someone can answer my questions and hopefully also some better/more detailed information on updating a live system (if possible).

//edit

By the way; both mining rigs are connected through WIFI. So it’s important they also keep the WIFI credentials obviously, otherwise I will not be able to access the mining rigs anymore at all…

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
HHawk

2 Likes

You can update remotely by using shell in a box. Just click on the remote access tab, start hive shell and when the command is completed you will get a browser link you can click on for commands. Then simply run “sudo apt update” followed by “sudo apt upgrade”. One thing I should mention, today’s update has been removed as it’s failing miserably and causing tons of downtime. Wait till that’s sorted out. They have actually temporarily removed the update from the GUI. All of my updates have been remote and all settings are always retained thankfully, so u should have no issues there.

1 Like

Hi Icona,

Thank you for answering. So it’s much easier than I thought; just run the Ubuntu commands to update the distro and it will include HiveOS (kernel) updates as well.

Wish I knew this sooner. I really thought you had to use hive-replace or other dangerous commands…
Thank you for help and advice! Highly appreciated.

Regards,
HHawk

1 Like

Yup, you got it. No problem.

super helpful, thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.