More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Scheduled Restarts - Good / Bad?

Hello fellas,

Does any one know if it’s good in the short/long - term to restart your rigs every once in a while?
If it does how often should the restarts take place and for how many seconds / minutes?

I guess a restart will clear the RAM and any recourses that are not cleaned up from software bugs and errors. Other than that, it will help the gpus rest for x amount of time and go back to the room temperature.

I found a way setting scheduled restarts using hiveos.
I just need the motivation to set it up and know if it worth the trouble doing so.

My target restart times are only when HiveOS releases new stable kernel&driver packages.

• Exception, adding a brand new release GPU which requires a beta load (very rare)

Bugs should be sorted by running correct HiveOS, miner versions, and configurations.
Cooling should be consistent as their no advantage to a hot cool hot cycle.
Run on a proper SSD for logging vs. USB
etc.

1 Like

Thanks for your time and also for sharing your knowledge.

I respect your opinion and you sound reasonable.
But here comes my question again; restarting the farm can help increase the life span of the GPUs and maintain for as long their performance?

I’m not sure about the question - it’s not a statement tho, don’t get me wrong. I’m just curious because I would love to make the most out of them.

I disagree with the premise that restarting increases lifespan for electronics which are designed for steady state. Power up and down is actually a stress event.

You will have restarts if you are keeping up with HiveOS features and functions which apply to your specific mining software of choice, the management tools, debugging features, etc.

At those times, it is wise to down the rig, clean check all the fans, blowout the heatsinks, check the cables for cracking, etc. These times are 1-3 month cycles in my environment. Folks that run their rigs in sheds, garages, etc., may have higher frequency of maintenance just due to dust, debris, and bugs.

I don’t run a huge group of farms, but I do have rigs running stable for months on end and target just that across the board when I can.

Maybe one of the bigs will chime in with their 50GH/s+, they are in this community :slight_smile:

May your mining rewards be to the moon!

1 Like

Thanks again for your honest reply and for sharing your knowledge with me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.