More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RX 6800 got flashed with wrong bios now can't flash any vbios on it

Hi

So I was trying to flash a 5700 and I selected that card and hit flash. For whatever reason it flashed my rx 6800 instead and after that it would no longer post or show up at all. After taking it apart and shorting the bios chip I can get the card to post. However I can’t flash any bios on it not with hive or windows using amdvbflash. One of my 5700 got flashed instead of another card and I was able to get that one flashed back and working. However have no luck with the 6800 and ive tried for hours. Please help me!!!

shows now when I turn it on

Radeon RX 6800 · AMD/ATI
Unknown GDDR6 · xxx-xxx-xxxx

when I try to flash bios I get

=== Flashing card 0 ===
AMDVBFLASH version 4.71, Copyright (c) 2020 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Adapter not found

ERROR: 0FL01

and one time I was able to get it to say bad bios but the same error code.

After a few tries Failed to read ROM but same error code

ERROR: 0FL01

I also don’t have the original bios as I wasn’t planning to flash this card. Its an AMD Rx 6800 with Samsung memory. Only bios I can get are off powerup but can’t load them to card yet anyways

thanks for any help

have you tried maintenance mode without loading drivers?

yes tried that no luck

It wont work without loading drivers…when u go to cards tab, this 6800 is showing there normally without red cross after it? If so…

1. select the bios u have from libary and flip “force flash” and then flash card.

Do you have dual bios on that one ? probaly not…cause u didnt mentioned that.

If option 1. dont work, try to run DDU with gpu in windows, after that, check there install amd drivers and check if card is visible and working correctly in device manager, if not, are u getting code 43 there ?
If WIN shows that device is working properly, switch back to hive and try flashing card again…
Hope u get it online…sound a bit that gpu is bricked, but if it is still visible in Hive there is a change that u can recover. Good luck

What would be the steps if we have dual bios switch ?

I accidently flashed the 6600 XT rom on 6700XT and no getting the same error as mentioned above?

But its sapphire 6700 XT Nitro+ with dual bios switch.

-flip bios switch to working side and boot rig
-go to cards tab and flip “force flash” & select new bios file to your “bricked” card
-before selecting “flash cards” flip bios switch back to “bricked” side
-select “flash cards”
-reboot and continue mining :wink:

1 Like

Cant get the 6800 to load without the drivers on hive now. I was able to a couple weeks ago everything would load 6800 would be only card that just didn’t start mining. Now it shows a black screen with a green horizontal line when drivers are loaded, so possible can’t now due to hive updated OS is the reason? It just says trn=2 ack should not assert”! over and over again or something similar.

For option 2 suggested I got my hands on another 5700 with bad bios (no dual switch, same thing can’t load w/ drivers getting same black screen w/ green.)
It did load with windows in safe mode and device manager showed the device was working properly. I went ahead and hit update driver and loaded driver again successfully but no luck getting it to load when booting regularly. When I tried it with hive again after update driver in safe mode, same issue it can’t load with drivers.

Don’t know what to do. I ordered a new bios chip with correct bios for 6800 already loaded so hoping ill be able to swap out chips and card should be back to normal. Not sure I want to do that myself tho. Maybe geek squad will do it for me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

I have the same issue and have tried mostly everything (Flash Vbios, Drivers uninstall - IInstall_ but no success. better to submit it for RMA. As of now its showings in Windows so let me do the work.

Which Company card you have?

You had the same issue with a 5700 or 6800?

I originally accidentally flashed my HP rx 5700 with Vega settings (hive pci order was different) Wouldn’t post after, I was able to jump it from bios chip after lot of hrs got it working in hive and windows. Has been working great as an hp rx 5700 xt.

By doing this, I managed to once again accidentally flash my 6800. Tried to do same steps I did with hp card and could not get AMDVBFlash to work. (RMDNA2(sp?) is the reason from my understanding)

I had stupid idea try to fix another 5700, since I just spent days learning to do. I bought one online for 300 along with a radeon vii as well (do not buy one impossible to get working) I’m in process of RMA w/ vii and will find out tomorrow if they will accept it.

Powercolor Rx 5700 card with bad bios is what I thought I bought. But card will post on its own and fans spin hive nor windows can load it. I flashed it and ddu, reinstalled etc. Still It will only load in safe mode or hive w/o drivers. I am going to try and RMA this one as well if not I can return it. All these manufactures are going to require receipt tho? Have not rma before.

As for 6800 I reached out to AMD will see what they say otherwise bios chip only option left to try.

If ur card is showing in windows w/o safe mode you can probably get that one working

Gigabyte 6800

I don’t think receipt is required as the card is just launched last year so obviously its in the warranty. I have submitted my card for RMA and they have not asked for any purchase receipt

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.