More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Run Hpool on Hiveos - Complete guide

First of all this is a guide made entirely by me. It may contain errors, without any problem I am willing to collaborate in solving them.

I have been trying to mine in hpool from my gpu miner, since I have many sata ports and several usb in my MOBO (Finetech B250 gigabyte). It seemed like an interesting way to get a little more out of the hardware.

I know, chia went down a lot but it’s a bet. At most I will try to get my investment back and hpool is running completely unattended.

HiveOs is a Linux-based operating system, so in theory we should be able to install a program that runs on Linux without problem. Hpool has its version for linux that you can find in this link

What we need is the link that we obtain from the link :point_down:

Let’s go!

1. Enable GUI

In some parts of the process we are going to use the console, but particularly to detect the disks it is best to use the graphical interface.

To activate it, go to the following option in hiveOs:

• Worker options in the top bar of hiveOs miner site.
  • GUI on boot
  • Select GUI enabled
  • Save changes
  • Restart the miner

When restart the miner (with a connected monitor) you must have the graphical environment available.

2. Detection of plotted disks

In order to manage the disks in a proper way we have to install the gnome-disks package. This is because it is not installed by default (at least in my version of hiveOS)

• Open a console, in the graphical environment there is already open as soon as it turns on. All you have to do is click on the + symbol that opens a new tab.
  • In the console run the command: apt-get install gnome-disk-utility
  • If you get a message in the terminal asking if you want to install, select yes.
  • Wait to install.

Now, the disks that have the plots must be connected. Make sure to connect the SATA drives without power, with the computer turned off. In my case I also did it with usb disks but they are plug and play.

• Run the following command in the same terminal (it could be other terminal, that doesnt matter): gnome-disks

• You should see the following:

I took this image from my notebook, which has linux, the important thing is that on the left there is a list of the disks connected to the system and on the right information about them. By clicking on each disk you have its capacity, format, ect.

Below that, there is a series of disk data. The most important thing is that the disk is not mounted. This is because hiveOs by default does not mount the disks connected.

So, what we have to do is tell the operating system that we need that disk to mount it automatically and understand the folder where it is mounted.

For this we have to:

• Click on the additional partition options:
  • Select edit mount options
  • We will see that the user session default is on.
  • Disable it and select mount at system startup
  • The rest of the options are not important. Click Ok button.

Now, you have to mount the disk.

This only has to be done this time since the next times the system is restarted the disk will be mounted. To mount it, click on the mount selected partition button (like play button)

The most important thing is save somewhere the path where the disk was mounted. You can see where it says “mounted at”, in this example: /mnt/mmc-SA08G_0x157bed17-part1

This path changes for each disk.

IMPORTANT: This procedure must be done for each of the disks.

3. Hpool configuration

Once all the disks are detected, and having their paths, we are ready to configure hpool.

• Download the hpool client for linux.

• Once downloaded, we can unzip it in a folder, in my case I chose /opt but it could be another like the home of your user.

• Now, we must configure the config.yalm file inside the folder where we have the hpool client.

If you open the file you will see something like the following, you probably don’t have any path.

patth:                                                                                                                                                                                  
- "/mnt/usb-Seagate_Expansion_NAAX7S9S-0:0-part1"                                                                                                                                      
- "/mnt/usb-Seagate_Expansion_NAAX75B4-0:0-part1"                                                                                                                                      
- "/mnt/usb-ADATA_HV320_4112235B200E-0:0-part2"                                                                                                                                        
- "/mnt/usb-ADATA_HV320_411224676009-0:0-part2"                                                                                                                                        
- "/mnt/F0CC999CCC995DA2"                                                                                                                                                              
- "/mnt/FA58C8A658C862CD"                                                                                                                                                              
- "/mnt/A20068DD0068BA45"                                                                                                                                                              
- "/mnt/6894FF5494FF22EC"                                                                                                                                                              
- "/mnt/3258E72E58E6F011"                                                                                                                                                              
minerName:                                                                                                                                                                             
apiKey: PUT_YOUR_API_KEY                                                                                                                                         
cachePath: ""                                                                                                                                                                          
deviceId: ""                                                                                                                                                                           
extraParams: {}                                                                                                                                                                        
log:                                                                                                                                                                                   
  lv: info                                                                                                                                                                             
  path: ./log/                                                                                                                                                                         
  name: miner.log                                                                                                                                                                      
url:                                                                                                                                                                                   
  info: ""                                                                                                                                                                             
  submit: ""                                                                                                                                                                           
scanPath: false                                                                                                                                                                        
scanMinute: 60                                                                                                                                                                        

The most important thing is to complete the apikey and the paths that we obtained when mounting the disks.

We just need that. In this case I have 8 discs.

4. Running hpool as a service

To do this I base myself on the following tutorial.

• First you have to create a file to define the service in /etc/systemd/system

• In my case the file is called hpool.service

• Contain the following

[Unit]
    Description=Hpool miner service
    After=network.target
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    [Service]
    Type=simple
    ExecStart=/opt/hpool-miner-chia/hpool-miner-chia
    WorkingDirectory=/opt/hpool-miner-chia/
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=5
    StandardOutput=syslog
    StandardError=syslog
    SyslogIdentifier=%n

You can see the detail of each line in the tutorial. What matters most is the path of the hpool executable. In my case /opt/hpool-miner-chia/hpool-miner-chia which is the directory where I downloaded hpool.

5. Check hpool state

Ready, now, when restarting the computer you must has the hpool miner running.

You can verify it by executing the following command in the console: journalctl - f - u hpool.service

That gives you the output of the miner.

I hope the guide will help you.

The forum rules only let me attach 1 image, that’s why they are missing. But I can leave them in comments.

If you need me to clarify / correct something, you can write to me in the comments.

Did my work help you? Help me by donating to my addresses:

• ERC20 (ETH) 0x275f784f4a63202443b35efe460fc5197c646bae
  • BSC (CAKE/BUSD/BNB) 0x1A01502df40319D58a6413429477d9BB13Ea8a82

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.