More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Rig keeps crashing - but I'm at a loss for why

I’m still fairly new to HiveOS, but since I’ve installed it, my rig will randomly crash after some time (it varies).

I am reusing a Ryzen 1600X, 750W PSU, and a RX 5700 XT. Brand new motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

After a while I noticed that my rig would show as disconnected, even as I could see it still running. When I plugged in a monitor, it would show:

BUG: Soft Lockup CPU#10 stuck

Sometimes after that it would show rcu_sched detected expedited stalls on CPUs/tasks.

I was unable to find anything online with exact same problems, but I did try running my GPU at a higher fan setting to possibly cool down my system more, as I thought overheating may be an issue. Unfortunately, I am not able to find a way to control my CPU settings through HiveOS? My GPU was running hot, but should have been within specs, but maybe the ambient heat was hurting the CPU?

Originally, I did try to overclock my GPU but I wasn’t able to dedicate much time to finding a stable overclock, so I wiped the values from the overclock template, and it should now just be running stock. Did I perhaps do this wrong?

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Hi, post pictures (oc settings) to help you out…

Try booting with “pci=noacpi”

Hi nanial,

Here is my latest settings. Before this, I just erased those values to bring it back to original and I still encountered an error. Then I manually adjusted the fan settings through OC to lower my temp, but still the same error.

Now, I’ve retried applying OC as you can see there, and it’s been better, I think? I actually managed to run my rig for almost 15 hours straight without issue. However, when I went to bed I think the computer froze or something?

It was disconnected, and the text on the monitor wasn’t moving, but I didn’t see any error codes.

I’m honestly at a loss.

What would that do?

Do you think my issue may be power related?

fix your core at 1400 mhz and VDD at 800 like you have… for stock rx 5700xt … is the safest values…

I’ve tried that, but I’m still not sure why I was having trouble with no overclock. I will wait and see what happens.

I’m thinking the temperature was too high, but even playing with the fan settings on stock didn’t help any.

after every change you make in rig u must restart miner…!!! stop miner do the OC settings and then restart it …ok?
our temp are high because you run 900 at memory clock with stock bios at card… maybe you can lower (890) for your temp going down…

I think also you have rev 2 gigabyte card…correct?

How do I stop the miner before applying the OC settings?

And regarding the Rev 2, I am not sure. How can I check?

test
drop down menu in the axle…

Check your Revision at the box!
Also preffer Team Red Miner for amd cards…

Ah, thank you!

And mine is Rev 1

It’s a Gigabyte Gaming OC

Great …you have a very good miner card in your position… you can do modification this card with bioses… check this Question - GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails Seite 2 | igor´sLAB Community

Hmm… that is a very interesting link!

I think I’ll run these settings for a while and see if my original error comes back.

Thanks for all your help, I’ll update the thread again later today!

Also, is there a good video that I can watch about overclocking issues? Like I feel like the problem I had this morning with it freezing on me was related to it, but I can’t find any error logs anywhere.

Your problem is related to bad OC settings… check also this for modded bios…

Also notice the micron and samsung memory chip… everyone has a differend settings… Micron plays at max 950 mhz but samsung at 900 max…

So it is an issue of OC settings then?

I had actually originally tried to use those Mining Chamber settings, but I think that Core Voltage that they use is too low. Because when I originally tried it, my computer crashed almost immediately.

Yes you are correct …because this settings is for modded bios …you have stock!
For stock values are
Core at 1400 voltage for core 800+ memory at 900 max! this settings for 52 53 mh/s top!

Ahhhhh! That makes sense!

I tried using the Nicehash suggested settings and they seemed to work better, but I bet that’s because they didn’t use BIOS modded as their basis. Interesting.

Thanks!

Just a little update, it’s been running without error for 30 hours now. I think that may have been the issue! I’ll update the thread again if it changes!

Thanks for your help, nanial!

1 Like

Hi…I am facing a similar problem as the Op…my rig is online…i see the pings…but the miner shuts down…I have three 6800 …not sure what the reason is…I then have to manually restart it…could you help please

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.