More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Painfully slow Chia plots transfers between local drives and over the network

I initially setup my Hive to mine ETH. Since this gear is running 24x7 i decided to run a chia harvester on the rig. I first started with 12x3TB drives and started upgrading to 16TB drives. The first few drives I populated on a different computer and then transferred the drives to my Hive rig. I recently got more HDD’s and started plotting on my daily driver again. I wanted to transfer these new plots using my ethernet connection but I’m getting horrible file transfer speeds 20MB/s with small bursts equal to 1GBE so moving plots is taking forever. I thought it might be becuase I was using NTFS on the new Hard Drives in the Hive box so when I added more drives, I made them EXT4. File transfers across the wire to the EXT4 drives are still garbage. I tried moving files from the NTFS drives to EXT4 and file transfers were 50MB/s which is well below what they should be able to handle. Just for giggles I tried from EXT4 to EXT4 with the same result.

I have updated all firmware on all the storage devices to the latest available. Updated the motherboard to the latest bios. Updated hive to the latest, updated the regular linux stuff to the latest including NIC drivers. I am by no means a Linux Expert and its taken me quite a bit of reading and rebuilding of my Hive Rig to get to this point. Im at a loss at what to do from here.

Here’s my Configuration

AMD Ryzen 3 1200
Asus Strix B450 Gaming - F II
16GB DDR 4 3200
250gb m.2 Sata SSD
3 Powercolor RX6800 GPU
LSI 9200-8e SAS Controller
HP D2600 12 bay SAS/SATA Drive Shelf
7 x 16tb Seagate EXOS SATA HDD ext4 partitions

In my recent testing I figured out that if I shut down my ETH miner (any Phoenix, TeamRed,NBminer) file transfers go back to full speed.

Before telling me my CPU may be to weak to do all the above. I did plug in my Ryzen 9 5900 to see if that was the cause already. I also tried different SAS Controllers and Network Cards.

Any insight in resolving this is greatly appreciated

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.