More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

New Linux Driver for Vega

I have my Vega running now with direct attached x16 pcie Slot …
But The Performance ist Not very nice … Ist there a Tip die Tuning ?

Linux world win the race - Vega now supported. But “Yes” some issue presents …
Don’t know when Vega full-support comes to HiveOS

I tested the Vegas with the latest version of HiveOS. The cards are recognised, xmr stak and claymore’s dual miner see the cards and start mining.

However, overclock / down-clock and down-volt settings don’t work. It’s not viable to mine that way. The the fans barely spin, the cards run very hot and they burn electricity like crazy.

Waiting for the fixes to add my Vega rigs to HiveOS. In the meanwhile, only my RX 580 rigs are on Hive :confused:

I need to fight with the bloody Windows 10 updates every few days :’(

Hi everyone.
There is a way to control Vega cards.

In Claymore use this config override:

-tt -75
-fanmin 75
-fanmax 85
-ttli 68
-tstart 60
-tstop 70

Overclock doesnt work from website. You can do it from SSH with comands.
To overclock memory use this comand:

echo ## > /sys/class/drm/card#/device/pp_mclk_od

- percentage of overclocking. For Vega 56 you can use 18-20, some Vega 64 work with 5-8.

card# - this is a card number, starts with 0 or 1 (if you have integrated videocard).

After you apply this comands, card will change it’s Core State to maximum level, to undervolt your cards you can use this comands:

rocm-smi --setsclk 0
rocm-smi --setmclk 3
rocm-smi --setfan 200

rocm-smi --setsclk 0 (this comand will set Core State to lowest level)
rocm-smi --setmclk 3 (this comand will set Memory State to maximum level)
rocm-smi --setfan 200 (this comand will set Fan Speed to about 80%. To set fans to 100% use 255)

If everythings works, you can create file with this comands and make this file executable after boot.

First you need to create file “oc.sh” in a directory “/home/user/” with this comands:
Change directory to “/home/user/”:

cd /home/user/

Then create file “oc.sh”:

nano oc.sh

Then type this in first lines:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
sleep 15

Then add comands, for example:

echo 20 > /sys/class/drm/card1/device/pp_mclk_od
rocm-smi --setsclk 0
rocm-smi --setmclk 3
rocm-smi --setfan 200

Your file “oc.sh” should look like this:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
sleep 15
echo 20 > /sys/class/drm/card1/device/pp_mclk_od
rocm-smi --setsclk 0
rocm-smi --setmclk 3
rocm-smi --setfan 200

Then with “CTRL+O” you will save file, then “CTRL+X” to exit. After this you have to make this file executable with this comand:

chmod +x oc.sh

Try to execute it with comand:

bash oc.sh

Wait for 15 seconds and you should see, that overclocking applied.
Then you have to add comand to execute “oc.sh” after boot.
Use this comand:

nano /hive/bin/hive

Scroll down to the end of file and before this line

echo2 "> Hive Start Finished"

you have to add line

bash /home/user/oc.sh

Then with “CTRL+O” you will save file, then “CTRL+X” to exit.

If you did everything right, after boot your overclocking will apply.

2 Likes

Curious for those that have tested this, are you able to get 1800+ H/s on CryptoNightV7? In windows one must disable/enable each card after each reboot or it is 20% slow. I assume this is a non-issue with Linux?

I updated the Overclock settings for Vega 56, after the update GPU Hashrate drop by few percentage, is that expected? Thank you stanislav1708 for sharing,.

Max I am able to see 1100 H/s. Is there any way to increase? Or I have to move to windows?

Try to overclock less, not all Vega 56 can hold 20%, try 19%, 18%.
1100 H/s is the best for now. It’s a problem with Linux drivers. I think they will fix it with next release.

If I set overclock to 18%, 19% or 20% it drops to 980 H/s. If I don’t set then I get 1100 H/s, but power jump from 140W to 340W.

Each time you set overclocking card jump to highest state, thats why you see 340w.
After setting overclock you need to set Core State and Memory State:

rocm-smi --setsclk 0
rocm-smi --setmclk 3

Maybe for CryptoNightV7 you just need to set Core State to lower power consumption.

On Ethash I get 38.5-39 Mh/s with overclocking Vega 56.

Thank you Stanislav.

After tweaking few times now i get 1000 H/s with 75W power consumption.
I use CryptoNight, Below is my settings. It might help some one.

echo 18 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_mclk_od
rocm-smi --setsclk 1
rocm-smi --setmclk 3
rocm-smi --setfan 200

I hope when we get the new Linux Driver, the Hashrate can go up 1800+ H/s.

1 Like

I am trying to get my Vega 64 going, but no luck. It is recognized by HiveOS, but miners won’t use it. I have installed it directly on x16 PCI-e slot on ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ and have configured it for Gen3 in BIOS… no luck…

Which MoBo are you guys running it on? Any pointers?

@givo
Did you use ROCm drivers?

Just plugged it in alongside RX470s already running on that rig…

[quote=“givo;4917”]I am trying to get my Vega 64 going, but no luck. It is recognized by HiveOS, but miners won’t use it. I have installed it directly on x16 PCI-e slot on ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ and have configured it for Gen3 in BIOS… no luck…

Which MoBo are you guys running it on? Any pointers?
[/quote]
Same problem is here. When I plugged Vega64 as a single card, miner (Claymore) works well. When I plugged it with 12x RX580, miner didn’t see it but HiveOS detects it (boot log and amd-info point that). Miner doesn’t detect Vega64 as GPU (it lists only GPU0 … GPU11 which are all RX580 and miner logs say that), but it detects its fans (GPU0 … GPU12). That brings problems into HiveOS web-interface, because it “thinks” that fans of GPU0 (which belongs to Vega64) belongs to GPU0 (which is RX580). Of course, Claymore doesn’t mine on Vega (it doesn’t detect it as GPU). Nevertheless, I launched second miner (EthMiner), and it detects only my Vega64 (even if it is primary miner) and mine on it (~36 MH/s).