More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Miscellaneous crashes, can't get over 24hr uptime

I’m seeing my rig crash either on:

1. “Starting daily apt activities”
  2. “CPU #3 stuck!”
  3. BASH won’t respond, gives no evidence.

I had better stability (still not perfect) when I was using just ethminer, but since the ETH DAG went over 4GB I’ve switched my two 4GB cards to ETC using lolminer.

I checked the root crontab to see if I could temporarily turn off the “daily apt activities” but didn’t see anything in there regarding apt.

Anyone have an idea how I can check logs (pre-reboot) or further diagnose this problem? It’s gotten so annoying that I’m considering switching to plain Linux, Ubuntu server or something.

Sounds like a bad riser card/cards to me bro

Well thanks for the suggestion, I think I fixed it. Currently at 2d uptime. Miners stalled a couple times but I could restart them remotely via software.

Dicked around with plain Windows, Ubuntu, and other mining OSes… came back to Hive because it’s a good mix of user-friendliness and power/flexibility.

Ended up replacing thermal paste on the CPU and a couple of cards, and reflashing all of them (via bootable DOS & amdflash.exe) to stock BIOS. Lost a couple MH/s but that’s nothing compared to the convenience of stability.

So if anyone’s having a similar problem, take a step back, do a rebuild. Reformat your SD card, replace thermal paste, check risers, BIOS, all of it. Even if each step doesn’t address the problem, you might stumble upon something that works.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.