More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Mining on HiveOS with moded GTX 550 Ti with 6GB

I got a hold of a GTX 550 Ti with 6GB DDR5 RAM + a basic PC to use it with.

So I figured I might give it a shot and use for a first crypto mining experience. So I followed HiveOS install tutorials and got everything hooked up using phoenixminer. But when trying to run the worker it fails with: Unable to enum CUDA GPUs: no CUDA-capable device is detected

I’m a developer, but not very savvy in drivers or hardware. So understanding the GTX 550 Ti is an old card, originally with 1GB of RAM, I’ve got a very initial question around this, if anyone is willing to give me a hand: will I be able to find NVIDIA drivers to actually “unlock” the full 6Gb of memory the card is supposed to have and use it to mine with or without HiveOS?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Will like also like to know. Got another 550ti 6gb and del not know how yo mine with It

1 Like

did you fix the problem? i was about to buy a bunch of this gpus for mining but i\m not sure if i could mine with them

1 Like

still no way, no answers from experts, so card still inside the box

nada tio, nadie dice nada

Disclaimer: I researched this info and am also a beginner to mining and linux.

Summary: So it wont work at this point in time on contemporary mining software and the older mining software versions that might work don’t have profitable coin algos to mine.

Deep Dive: I got a 550ti 6gb and a 550ti 8gb believing all the mining software sites (Nicehash, Betterhash, Unmineable) saying “Hardware needed: 6gb or higher GPU, or a 8gb or higher GPU” to mine ETC or ETH. Well they left out very important points. In addition to the VRAM requirement there is the compute core requirement at least for NVIDA. In summary 550ti’s are compute 2.1 cards. No current versions of mining software as of right now (10/31/2021) supports compute 2.1 NVIDIA cards with a profitable algo like ETH.

Check out this site for a list of what compute versions are on some older NVIDA cards: Compute 2.1 - Crypto Mining Blog (cryptomining-blog.com). Don’t make the mistake of buying a VRAM upgraded older compute NVIDA card to mine with. Most miners support compute 5.0 and higher, and a few still support compute 3.0 at this point.

If anyone can add a profitable algo like ETH to an older version of a miner like a ccminer fork, you might be able to actually attain the seemingly impossible ETH 40mh/s on a 550ti 8gb card as reported by Betterhash here: Mining with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - BetterHash Calculator, even though their current software doesn’t support the 550ti anymore and they admit accuracy is limited. Or if you can add compute 2.1 support to current mining software the same result may be able to be attained. Please reply to me if you can and/or do alter some mining software for this purpose. I would love to be able to mine with an older VRAM upgraded GPU if it could be profitable.

doing a bit of research, i found that lolminer added Ethash cores for Fermi and Kepler GPUs. The GTX 550 ti falls in this Fermi group. This could possibly work for old GPUs with upgraded VRAM.

https://crypto-mining.blog/en/software/cryptocurrency-miners/lolminer-1-28a-download-ethash-equihash-beam-grin-miner-for-amd-nvidia/

If you want to start mining I would recommend a couple of links

https://whattomine.com/
so you don’t waste money with old cards

Yup, I followed the link provided and download lolminer 1.28a. Unfortunately the epoch is past 200 and currently at 486. The support is for less than 200 epoch eth hash forks.

Does anyone know of any of those low epoch forks that are still minable? Or even how to mine them?

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.