More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Install webcam monitoring on HiveOs

Hi,
as we all know, video cards are very expensive. That’s why I keep my hardware in place where burglar alarm is connected. But I want also to provide webcam-based monitoring. There is a sofware for Linux called motion, which can do such thing. The main requirements for OS is to provide camera driver. In Ubuntu there is no problem to do that. But in hiveos it isn’t working. When I type command modprobe uvcvideo i get error modprobe: FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.0-hiveos. So what can I do to add uvcvideo module to hiveos instance to run motion?

To start, 5.4.0 is quite old, Hive is on 5.10 right now.

Not sure why you would attempt this approach to a rig that is supposed to be secure and singularly focused in mission.

Add a Raspberry Pi for external monitoring on the cheap, easy, air gapped security and this still allows upgrades of the HiveOS kernel with standard loads.

I knew that there will be answer like that :slight_smile: I’m asking how to achieve video monitoring in hive os, not what to do instead :slight_smile:

Yes, my perspective does have a bias both institutionally and anti theft.

For every (1) theft thread/post I have seen, there are (20) pleading about how to undo a hack.

There are posts and guides showing the more common add request: USB WiFi dongle support to HiveOS. I would work from a kernel baseline where you believe your available drivers match the HiveOS kernel baseline. Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.