More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

I am having big problems with the system freezing. I do not know if its the hardware or the hiveOS. I am out of options. Please help

About 2 days ago i built a rig and it worked really good from the start. I made flight sheets with different coins and different overclocks. And then, yesterday. I decided to update to the newest hiveOS version as well as updating the BIOS on the mobo. After that, i added 2 more cards (2x 2060’s) to the rig and then fired it up. Everything seemed fine. I made some overclocks to it and changed the flight sheet a bit. After i was comfortable with the overclocks i let the rig mine for a while. After about an hour i came back and the rig was offline. I checked the monitor on the rig itself and the screen was frozen. I thought it was weird but i rebooted on the mobo powerbutton. After rebooting it i decided to sit there and monitor the rig to see if the problem would occur again. And it did. I rebooted it many times with the same problem every time. I tried changing overclocks, flight sheets and tried checking logs (although i dont know what im looking for in the logs or if it even says anything useful). After a few hours of this going back and forth with the same results, i went to bed for the day.

Next day i tried some new things. I reflashed the bios to the version the mobo came with as well as completely reinstalling hiveOS. This did not work. I even removed the 2 gpus and risers that i added before these problems started. That did not work either. I do not know what more to do.

This is what i have gathered these last 2 days:
The freezes look like the monitor has frozen in time since the freeze. And it requires me to hold the power button and make it restart.

The freezes usually happen after about 20 minutes of mining since reboot.

it might be some kind of hardware problem or software problem, i dont know though. Maybe mobo? Gpu? Risers? (although the risers did work perfectly the first day) cpu? Overclocks? Miners?

Specs of rig:
4GB of ram
asrock h110 pro btc+
intel core i5-6400T 2.20GHz
iomega HDD usb drive

Here is a picture of the gpus and their overclocks:

The gpus are all mining different coins and using different miners.
On the rx6800 and 6800xt i am mining ethereum with TeamRedMiner
The 2060’s are mining RVN (kawpow) on nbminer
The 2 3060’s are also mining RVN (kawpow) on nbminer
The 3070ti is mining ERGO (autolykos2) on lolminer.
The 1660 super is mining Ethereum on t-rex miner

I am out of options on what to do. Please help me

I am considering trying to install windows just to see if it can mine longer than 20 minutes without freezing.

have you tried adding more RAM, also whats the PSU ? how do you power these cards?

I am currently in the process of having added 16GB of ram from my gaming pc and testing if it will crash/freeze again. I will update with whatever happens.

I have 3 PSU’s

1 evga 650W 80 plus gold (this one for mobo)

2x dell server PSU’s 1400W 80 plus platinum with breaker boards. (these for GPU’s)

UPDATE:

So far so good.

First i have tried just running the rig with 16GB inside and without GPUs. It ran for about 1 hr 30 min without freezing at all (1hr 30min might be too low but still a record so far).

After 1hr 30min i turned it off and added just 1 GPU to try and mine with. It went well without any crashes or freezes. It easily mined for about 1hr 20min.

I then turned the rig off my self and connected ALL GPUs to the rig again and started mining with the same flight sheet. After about 1hr and 30 minutes it is STILL working and mining.

Ill make some more updates for whatever happens.

After 16hr and 43min of mining i think i can say that the RAM was the problem. It seems like the cheap RAM stick i had in he rig is very faulty. I even tried the RAM stick in my main windows gaming pc and it got several BSODs. Everything is pointing at the RAM itself being faulty. I dont know if the amounts of GB played a part in it aswell but i can say that my other 16GB ram sticks have worked flawlessly so far. If for some reason, something happens again. I will update.

Yeah is better to have more than 4 gigs if you can

After about 2 more days of mining. I can confidently say it was the faulty RAM. Maybe check your ram if you have similar problems.

2 Likes

So, it has been about 16 days and i am still in the green. Still mining. If you have similar problems check the RAM.

2 Likes

I am going to try this tomorrow. If this works, i am going to give a big hug.

Didnt work. Not RAM issue.
It was the OC settings.
VRAM might be too hot making the rig to freeze. I lowered the 3080 memc settings to 1200. it seems a bit stable now. it reboots but does not freeze not have the “GPU driver error, no temp”.
i am waiting for
my thermal pads to come and il change it and update you guys.

I had an issue with this mobo where it was freezing, but always at the same point after it loaded the amd drivers. This was after having testing all the hardware to make sure it wasn’t a hardware problem and swapping the ram out last.

I went back into the bios to check pcie states because the issue was happening more with 10 gpus than 9. I missed some of the bios when I checked it earlier and trusted that they were right in saying I didn’t have to mess with the bios. Here’s what I changed:

1. disabled the c-states
  2. disabled vt-d
  3. set ram voltage to the normal voltage instead of auto
  4. disabled audio driver
  5. disabled hdmi audio driver
  6. disabled serial port and the following port (can’t remember what it’s called),
  7. disabled sata controller (running from usb)
  • I moved the usb to one of the blue slots, but I don’t think that made a difference.
  • I had output coming from a pcie slot and one plugged into the mobo as well (laziness), so I removed the one from the mobo since it was set to use pcie2 as the output.

That got me past that stopping point, but I was still having issues with it mining (nbminer). It would just sit there and do nothing. Not frozen, but hte miner wasn’t running. I replaced my hive image with hive-replace and now it’s working, but LA is very high for some reason.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.