More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

How to Install HiveOS to local disk?

Hi HIveOS Experts.
I have a GPU rig and I have never setup a mining rig in my life. I’m pretty good at Linux, but decided to try an all -in-one OS. I have a bunch of drives in my PC and I downloaded and burned the .IMG to a USB drive, but I cannot get the HiveOS to install onto my drives, it just boots and takes me to a Ubuntu prompt. I tried following the setup steps but the setup instructions just say “Boot your rig and wait for it to install the image.” Where are the steps where it asks for the local drive?!
I cannot run this on a USB stick, my USB sticks stop working when they get too hot and they get hot quickly. I also don’t want the USB stick sticking out the end of the PC because it’s on a multiuse desk.

Please help!

you can flash the image directly to the hard drive instead of the usb drive, or copy it from the usb drive to the hard drive/ssd.

Thanks Keaton for the quick response, that’s very nice of you. I’m going to try that out. I’ve used dd before but not for transferring a bootable fs!

Hi Keaton,

That process worked. Now I just need to manually assign the IP address. the network stack doesn’t seem to be the same as other Ubuntu images I’ve used. It seems to be set for DHCP only. Do you have a link to do from the CLI easily?
Thanks,
–How…

You should be able to run the same commands as a vanilla Ubuntu install, either way it’s easier from the GUI, or when flashing the image initially.

Hi Keaton,

This Ubuntu puts the network files in a /hive-config folder which is definitely not normal Ubuntu, but I was able to get the static IP assigned.
Thanks for all your help.
Sincerely,
–HowDoIdoThis

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.