More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Hive OS Keeps Crashing using NBMiner and Nvidia RTX 3060 Cards

So this issue has been plaguing me for the past week. I am having an issue with at Random Times, my mining rig will just completely Freeze out of no where. And by freeze I mean the mouse stops moving on the screen when I move the mouse, and everything is just frozen there. Rig stays powered on, can’t be pinged, looses connecting to hive servers and is totally unresponsive. Sometimes it happens after an hour of farming, other times it happens after 8 hours, other times it happens after 18 hours, its random, which makes this hard to trace. I’m going to list my current setup below, but first, I will say this… I started by changing out the RAM, thinking that was the issue, but it didn’t help. Then I changed the hard drive, and rebuilt the image, still same issue. In my final plea for a fix, I ended up changing EVERYTHING!! Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive, and even power supply.

Ok so here is my setup.

I have 6 NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU’s They are not all the same, some are EVGA, one ASUS, one PNY, etc… I plan on buying two more cards to make 8 total cards in this Rig.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z590-V
Processor: Intel Pentium Gold G-6400
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Hard Drive: Samsung NVME 250GB Drive
Power Supply 2 X EVGA 850 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 850W
I made sure to keep the pair up the Card / Riser connected to the same power supply, I was told connecting the riser to one PS, and the Card to another was a bad idea. All Risers are powered with a 6 pin PCIE power connector, NO SATA power!!!

Riser Cards: I’m using two Pcie Riser Cards 1 x 4, I am not sure of the brand, as its not stated on the card. I have 4 GPU’s connected to one card, and 2 GPU’s connected to the second card. Not sure if this is allowed, but here is the link to the 1 x 4 card and Risers I am using.
Riser Cards on Amazon

I had originally started with NONE of the cards overclocked, but then as an attempt to try and figure out what was happening I thought of trying to lower the temp / power usage in case that had something to do with it. So my current OC settings are as follows. (I am no overclocking Pro)
Fan: 75
Core: 1600
Memory: -300 (I did this thinking it would keep the cards cooler, at this point I didn’t care about hash rate, just wanted to cool down the cards thinking that may be the issue, Is this bad?)
Power: 130

I am using the Newest version of HiveOS. Ive tried upgrading to a newer version every time one came out thinking “Maybe this is a bugged version” but after upgrading through the last 5 versions, I still have the same issue.

I am using NBMiner with no additional parameters, and I am mining ETH to the Ethermine Pool

When the miner does run, with all the settings above, I get about 30 MH/s Core temps on the card are ranging between 40 to 50 degrees currently. Cards are ranging from between 95 to 105 watts of power usage.

Now obviously before I did any of the OC changes, the card were running between 55 to 62 degrees and using about 130 watts of power. I did the OC changes to see if reducing the temp / power usage would help.

As far as power goes. I have two 850 Watt Power Supplies, as listed above, One of them is powering 3 cards / risers only, The second power supply is powering 3 cards / risers and the motherboard. I have a Watt Meter connected to the rig, and with all 6 cards running, I am at about 900 watts of power used. which is well below the rating of the two power supplies. From my math it doesn’t seem like 3 3060 Cards and risers would take anywhere near 850 wats of power, so I don’t believe its an issue with not enough power.

I hope I didn’t miss providing any needed information.

I am asking for any help in trying to figure out what might be the issue here. I am even willing to pay someone to do some one on one time with me to get this figured out if I need to.

Any info / help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Everything looks compatable and great rig setup you got! The only thing that I can think of would be your overclocking, 90% of times when rigs freezes after mining started its probably the overclock (had the same problem with my rig).

Try removing the overclock or even using one from the community that should be stable. Also you have great temperatures, GPU’s normaly operate at 60-66 degrees but I like to keep mine below 60, so if your cards are runing at 50-56 degrees you got no problem!

Try running with no overclock or a lighter overclock for some hours, than if it works go changing!

Below is a simple overclock I got that should work, but first try others or even none:

• Power (%): 120w
  • Core (CClock): -200
  • Memory (MClock): +1400

Good luck!

Thanks for the help… I’m testing out those settings right now and will let you know how it works. I am just getting so frustrated with HiveOS Just freezing and not giving any indication of why. The ONLY thing left I havent changed out is my Risers, and the PCIE 1 x 4 expansion cards.

Well no luck, Didn’t take more then a few hours and the rig just locked up. I’m going to try running one card at a time overnight to see if i can find one that is having issues.

Okay, let me know! Also I am almost sure it wouldn’t be the risers or the pcie as the cards start mining, otherwise I would just instantly crash, freeze or not even boot.

So I basically replaced all the Riser Cards in my rig and the issue with it always freezing seems to have gone away.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.