More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Dd clone usb to m2 ssd?

Some very nube stuff but can’t find discussion,
I found the dd clone commands on install page and found this can also be used to clone using dd command from flashed usb to ssd, however, I have question and issue on geting started.

1. procedure? do I just let hiveos load on usb then break to prompt with ctrl-c then run fdisk -l from here to id devices?
  2. fdisk -l returns several partitions on usb, this wasn’t shown in install page example. so I assume all 3 partitions will get cloned to m2 ssd and that’s ok?
  3. issue - fdisk -l doesn’t list m2 ssd, I’ve not formatted m2 ssd that’s probably a prerequiisite, but how can I format from usb command like if device is not detected?

Hi,

Yes, you can clone directly from HiveOS terminal.

Correct, the whole USB drive need to be cloned.

If m2 SSD is not listed in fdisk -l command, you won’t be able to install anything on it. Is your BIOS detecting this drive?

Thanks for your reply, I failed to mention SSD is NVMe and did a bunch of research on that to confirm biostar BT360 D+ supported it, then went back and found I now see it with fdisk -l, I think I was misreading the screen output looking for an SDx name but it showed as nvmex at top of log output, I was thinking it would be listed after the SDA (usb) drive but it was listerd first, getting really fast performance on the Hiveos load routine, the NVMe’s were probably overkill but they were cheap enough at Best Buy so I grabbed them.

I’m agree with you.

I leave here an example of the command out in case someone have the same problem:

root@rigXXXXX:/# fdisk -l                                                                                                                                                                    │····················
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 953.9 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors                                                                                                                         │····················
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                         │····················
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                         │····················
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                             │····················
Disklabel type: gpt                                                                                                                                                                           │····················
Disk identifier: XXXXXXX-B8F8-4D7F-XXXXXXXXXXXX                                                                                                                                         │····················
                                                                                                                                                                                              │····················
Device           Start        End    Sectors   Size Type                                                                                                                                      │····················
/dev/nvme0n1p1    2048    1085439    1083392   529M Windows recovery environment                                                                                                              │····················
/dev/nvme0n1p2 1085440    1290239     204800   100M EFI System                                                                                                                                │····················
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1290240    1323007      32768    16M Microsoft reserved                                                                                                                        │····················
/dev/nvme0n1p4 1323008 2000408575 1999085568 953.2G Microsoft basic data                                                                                                                      │····················
                                                                                                                                                                                              │····················
                                                                                                                                                                                              │····················
Disk /dev/sda: 57.3 GiB, 61530439680 bytes, 120176640 sectors                                                                                                                                 │····················
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                         │····················
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                         │····················
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                             │····················
Disklabel type: gpt                                                                                                                                                                           │····················
Disk identifier: XXXXXXX-FEA6-4E82-8270-XXXXXX                                                                                                                                        │····················
                                                                                                                                                                                              │····················
Device      Start       End   Sectors  Size Type                                                                                                                                              │····················
/dev/sda1    2048     43007     40960   20M Microsoft basic data                                                                                                                              │····················
/dev/sda2   43008     45055      2048    1M BIOS boot                                                                                                                                         │····················
/dev/sda3   45056    126975     81920   40M EFI System                                                                                                                                        │····················
/dev/sda4  126976 120176606 120049631 57.2G Linux filesystem 

Regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.