More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

90 mh rtx 3090 fe

1 Like

looks good. 50+ watts less and same hashrate, gpus will run slightly cooler too.

Hello,

I also have a RTX 3090 FE and the same low hashrate.

After doing the thermal pad mod, my temps improved dramatically (around ~20ºC less on the memory), but they still hover over 90ºC (summer in spain can be VERY hot, more than 35ºC in the room sometimes), so it still throttles

Running:
nvidia-smi -q | egrep ‘Thermal Slowdown’
returns: SW Slowdown: Active as expected

So… my question is… Can I increase the thermal throttling temperature for memory a tiny bit? My guess is that they would last longer at 95ºC than at 110, and that will be the tiny bit I need to mantain 120MH/s. At least while the summer lasts…

thermal throttling on the memory side only happens at 110c. thats a built in to the gpu setting, not something you can change yourself

I don’t know what happens then, because GPU is around 70ºC and memory at 90ºC, I should have no throttling at all (but according to nvidia-smi, its throttling indeed, it only runs at 120MH/s briefly after a restart). Memory temp shows in red starting at 90ºC. I will check thermal pads tomorrow, but since I have much better temps I suspect that this is not the problem

I’m on 510 driver to unlock other LHR GPUs and lastest NBMiner, I don’t know if older drivers can help with this.Any clue on what might be causing the throttling?

using a locked core clock?

70c is too hot for a 3090 core imo.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit with the 70c, but definitely more than 60 with 100% fan. Tried both a locked and offset core clock. Keep in mind ambient temps in the room are way above 30ºC. Lately I am using -500 core offset. But using a fixed core like 1200 has the same effect: 120-ish on boot quickcly dropping to 95-100 after a couple of minutes. Using a really low fixed core like 800Mhz removes the throttling (both core and memory cools down) but drops the hashrate to hell as expected

I cannot check the rig at this moment to confirm the temps but i have a screenshot prior to the mod, I had 52ºC on the core, 110ºC on the memory, core -300 RAM 2400 Power limit 320. Had to drop to -600 on core, 1600 RAM 280 Power limit to at least mantain 100MH, else it dropped even lower.

dont use offsets at all, ~1140 mhz is all you need for 125mh.

Thanks a lot for your help. I suspect the cold of the night helped a lot in this outcome, but I managed to get 118Mh/s more or less consistently. Using fixed 1080 core (since I wont reach 125MH on summer I could lower this a bit from the 1140 you suggested), 1800 mem and 300W power limit.

GPU is at 66ºC at this moment, ram at 95, still throttling according to nvidia-smi but mantains the hashrate despite of that

whats the throttle reason?

you shoudlnt run a power limit imo, if you want to lower power draw, lower the core.

The power limit is not reached anyways, so I guess it does not matter a lot, Is that right? Power consumption hovers around 290W. I am using it more as a “safety check”.

Can you please point me a way to check the reason of the throttling? The only information I have right now that makes me think I have throttling is the line:
SW Thermal Slowdown : Active
on the region corresponding to the RTX 3090 (last GPU on my rig, so should be last line for the grep)

nvtool --throttle

can you post the output of that and a screenshot of your worker overview screen?

Will post tomorrow, since now the temperatures in the room are much lower and the GPU is no longer throttling no matter how much I increase the memory clocks. That are some good news, but bad for diagnosing what the hell was happening.

Maybe some area not related to the ram or the core becomes hot? I am pretty sure the thermal pads were correctly placed but…

Seems like the throttling is gone, despite having the same hot weather as yesterday. As keaton said, throttling on RAM does not engage until 110ºC.

I have no Idea on why it was throttling yesterday, since the RAM was on 90ºC, it was not power capped, and I did not do any physical change on the card since then. Maybe some of the thermal pads were not performing properly until everything seated and ran hot for a bit of time

I took note of the command:
nvtool --throttle
in case it happens again. I was not aware that this tool existed.

Thank you for your time and help

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.