More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

HowTo: Mining Chia in Hive OS w/o GUI

Dumb question potentially - Will it continue to create new plots over and over or will you have to manually run the command to create plots each time?

I tried running chia show -s but I got the message

Connection error. Check if full node rpc is running at 8555
This is normal if full node is still starting up

Any idea what this means? I’m not getting an output like the one you had with “Current Blockchain Status: Not Synced”

I tried this comment here and it worked.

1 Like

It depends on the “-n 2” option, in this case he stops after creating 2 plots, but if you have space for, let’s say 20 plots, then just specify “-n 20” and then it will create 20 plots and stop then. If something goes wrong, then only the last plot is gone, by the way…

Great tutorial bro! Just a few tips for those using mining pool like HPOOL:

• There is no need to keep farmer running (and it’s forbidden too)
  • There is no need to run chia commands through venv (. ./activate)

/usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/python /usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/chia plots create -n 2 -k 32 -b 4000 -t /home/user/chia_tmp/ -d /mnt/sdb1/chia_plots/ will work just fine!

I will share my script for parallel plotting, that runs in background with full log generation. Remember to set the number of plots, memory size, number of threads and the properly sleep time (phase 1 time plus 30 minutes is enough).

#!/bin/bash
# =============================================
# Usage: /home/user/plots.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
# =============================================

/usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/python /usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/chia plots create -k 32 -n 10 -b 4096 -r 16 -t /home/user/chia_tmp/ -d /mnt/sdb1/chia_plots/ > /home/user/plot1.log 2>&1 &
sleep 120m
/usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/python /usr/lib/chia-blockchain/venv/bin/chia plots create -k 32 -n 10 -b 4096 -r 16 -t /home/user/chia_tmp/ -d /mnt/sdb1/chia_plots/ > /home/user/plot2.log 2>&1 &

My current plotting setups:

• HiveOS = Intel i3-7100, 8GB DDR4 and 500GB NVMe
  • Debian 10 = Intel Xeon D-2141I, 32GB DDR4 RAM and 500GB NVMe
  • Windows 10 = Intel i7 10750H, 16GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB NVMe
3 Likes

I looked at the HPOOL Site, but I did’t get how to mine there, can you explain that a little bit?
And do you already have some rewards? With how many plots?

Hi,

This command not found for me. Can u help me?

can u share the file crontab.root?

1 Like

that is my script I use -t and -2 to separate Temp folder files

root@rig1:~/chia-blockchain# cat /home/chia/chia8.sh

#!/bin/bash
screen -d -m -S chia1 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 0h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chia-temp1/temp1 -2 /mnt/chia-temp1 -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_1_.log’
screen -d -m -S chia2 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 1h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp2 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_2_.log’
screen -d -m -S chia3 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 2h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp3 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_3_.log’
#screen -d -m -S chia4 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 3h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp4 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_4_.log’
#screen -d -m -S chia5 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 4h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp5 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_5_.log’
#screen -d -m -S chia6 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 5h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp6 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_6_.log’
#screen -d -m -S chia7 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 6h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp7 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_7_.log’
#screen -d -m -S chia8 bash -c ‘cd /home/user/chia-blockchain && . ./activate && sleep 7h && chia plots create -k 32 -b 5000 -e -r 8 -u 128 -n 200 -t /mnt/chiatest/temp8 -2 /mnt/chiatest -d /mnt/10tb-1 |tee /home/user/chialogs/chia1_8_.log’

Hi,

does it mean that gpu mining keeps running while plotting, is there any affection to one another?

How i can load my mnemonic words ? and there are any way to install the GUI ?

I’ve been having issues with crontab. Is /hive/etc/crontab.root the right file? Also crontab is overwritten on updates.

1 Like

You seem to have experience and i find this tutorial only 80% helpfull. My gpu mining rigs have really slow cpu ddr and hdd’s so im plotting somewere else and want my riggs to farm the plotted files. Im not sure how to format drives (plotting is done in windows) and mount them correctly to hiveos linux. Also i would be great to have this running on startup (and possibly even exsist after i update hiveos). I really would appreciate if you could give a brief explanation on how to do mounting and farming in hiveos without the plotting part.

Just saw this post. To add on its a lot easier to just run Flexfarmer so there’s no need for the full node or syncing.

Hive OS runs on Linux so its possible to farm Chia using Flexfarmer while GPU mining. The link to the guide is below, check the Flexfarmer reddit post for additional details.

Guide Here

Note that this guide does require some familiarity with Linux and we do not officially support this as its a project done up by a community member. Hopefully someone will do up a better guide/video.

@Br4ne I have a similar set up. The official guide on farming on multiple machines is thorough.

The rest is just familiarizing yourself with using a cli. This guide also helped me regarding mounting drives automatically.

The only issue I’ve had is getting crontab working.

Hi, I have my hiveos on a 1 tb hdd. Can you explain every step in detail? Please.

One last thing: How to update your local chia installation.

First go to the chia directory and activate venv:

cd /home/chia-blockchain
. ./activate

next stop all chia services:

chia stop -d all

after that fetch all changes and start the update:

deactivate
git fetch
git checkout latest
git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD
chmod 777 install.sh
./install.sh
. ./activate
chia init

After that start the chia services again:

chia start farmer

After latest change I hat problems with permissions of the config folder, you can fix that with:

chia init --fix-ssl-permissions

Plotting on your hive rig really a bad idea. The plotting impacts the hive os. I tried doiing this with on a rig with intel i7 9700 with 32gb and 1tb nvme drive and sending finished plots to a hard drives on another computer using SMB and 1g Ethernet. I ended up with high LA issues. This is expected becuase all the CPU time is plotting but hive will see it and if you have watchdog enabled, your machine will reboot over and over again as the plotting ramps up. This totally disruped my GPU mining. Also transferring plots across network will cause high LA if you have slow storage on the remote end.

After that, I rethought my process and attached a 12bay storage chassis to my hive rig and did the plotting on on other computers and then transferred the full drives to the storage chassis. I set up chia as a harvester reporting to chia Full node on my Main PC. Don’t need as much CPU resources to run a just a harvester.

Let’s say… I just wanna Harvester on my HiveOS.
Could you advise me how to get CA import, and else to get it running?
(I would run full node on my PC, and it’s more visual just in case)

Already all explained here:

I have my chia setup on windows at the moment, but i want to change system to hive os. How do i activate my hdds full of plots in chia? Can i use all other forks as well, for example flax, hdd, staicoin?